The The UK Logistics Confidence Index H1 2016, by Barclays and Moore Stephens*, indicates that industry confidence is at a four-year low, although the industry is investing in technology and value added services to cope with customer pressure for lower prices while competition and costs rise – as reported by Logistics Manager.
One interesting statistic cited is that the main source (62%) of new business in the past six months has been as a result of new customers switching from other service providers. See full report.
This highlights the need for delivery operations to be as competitive as possible to both win new business and retain existing clients.
The report also points out that, according to respondents:
- Pressure from customers to cut prices has overtaken driver and skills shortages as the key challenge in the next six months.
- New technologies, automation and supply chain innovations are seen as critical to help logistics operators work smarter and improve margins.
The key for successful delivery operators is to be able to offer the right mix of flexibility and customer service at the lowest cost.
- TPN members save time, improve performance and reduce operational costs.
- Procam provide a more efficient and proactive service with a fully integrated route planning and ePOD solution.
- Hardstaff Barriers improve cash flow management and customer service with TranSend ePOD.
- Improved Delivery Accuracy and Improved Customer Service: Two Reason why clients choose TranSend .
- Canute Logistics: transport operations that are both dynamic and cost effective.